|Having an up-to-date home inventory is a crucial component of Financial Changes, Disaster Preparedness and Life Changes. Whether it is Natural and/or Man Made doesn’t make a difference. Detail with precision the many wonderful, treasured items that make your house a home! In the aftermath of a crisis, could you accurately describe all of your possessions
Did you know
|A 2012 survey from the NAIC more than half of Americans don’t have a home inventoryof their possessions, putting them at significant risk for inadequate home insurancecoverage, should severe weather strike. Survey results show 59% of consumers have not made a list or inventory of their possessions.Of those individuals with a home inventory,
Personal Property Inventory
The majority of homeowners insurance policies deliver coverage for personal possessions for approximately 50% to 70% of the amount of insurance you have on the structure of your home.
To your benefit as an owner along with your insurance agent to decide if there is enough coverage. It is recommended that you hire a Professional Inventory Specialist (PIS) you to conduct a home inventory.
The Inventory is a series of specific steps, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Photos with multiple shots showing inscriptions, UPC Codes or identifications
- Detailed list of everything you own including and information
- Location/Item/Brand/Quantity/Dimension/Material/Color/ Supplier/Status/Model #/UPC/Original Purchase/Where/When/Replacement/Receipts/Cost to Warranty/Identifying/Description Name/Code/Cost/Date Purchased/Purchased Cost/Replace/Repair
- It is important to connect the relationship between the cost to replace these items if they were stolen or destroyed by a
- Hurricane, Tropical Storm, Fire, Water Event, Burglary.
Life Changes or Catastrophic Event Occurs. Whether it is Natural and/or Man Made doesn’t make a difference.
If you believe and consider after giving deliberate thought that you need more coverage, contact your insurance agent and request a review of your policy and higher limits for your personal possessions coverage.
As part of your review, in concert with your Insurance Carrier and in conjunction with your Professional Inventory Specialist (PIS) you’ll need to decide whether you want Replacement Cost or Actual Cash Value.
Usually the cost of replacement cost coverage runs about 10%-12% more than ACV.
In communicating with “Your Team” (insurance carrier and PIS), there can be a coverage limit on expensive items and collections such as art, jewelry, collections, silverware, etc. As an example a $10,000. necklace would require an endorsement or a floater. These types of coverage involve additional premium and is also affected by where you live.
Remember that Flood Insurance if you need it for personal property possessions is only available on ACV basis.
- “Nothing Ever Goes According To Plan Then Reevaluate, Revise, Improvise, Adapt, Innovate and Change”
Think! then Act!
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.